Friday, September 18, 2009

WTF!! It's FRIDAY!?

What I would like to know is what the hell happened to the rest of my week!?!?

I've pretty much been in a lack of sleep induced trance-like state because it is the last week of Ramadan - 'Id starts probably on Sunday or Monday, and there has been a ton of invitations and social events here -- social events that start at like 10 pm and end at 0200 (for me, mostly because I get up and walk out because I'm worried I'm going to pass out in their house and then they'll freak out that there is a dead American Diplomat in their house, panic, and throw me in the Nile! And if the crocodiles don't eat me, a parasite will definitely get me. It's just better for all involved if I leave.) Anyway, the embassy - because it is still a US Government institution (and, therefore, is forbidden from using any common sense in its decisions) is open for business at 8 am and expects me to not only show up, but to be out of my pajamas and have combed my hair and brushed my teeth as well.

HATEFUL!

So anyway, after this weekend Ramadan is officially over! I will be able to get lunch! And this is a really really good thing, not only am I unusually crabby, the Sudanese are SUPER crabby. I am not sure this is what God/Allah had in mind when he started the whole fasting thing...I am not sure we were supposed to turn the whole schedule around and stay up really late to each a ton of food and then be extra miserable in the day because you're not only starving because you stretched out your tummy, but you're exhausted because you have not had any sleep.

But then, I'm not a religious scholar. How the hell would I know what he intended? I'm just guessin' here....

So, as I was leaving for work yesterday morning and noticed that even the dingos I've adopted are exhausted by the ramadan schedule. They weren't waiting to greet me and ruin the clothes I put on for work with their dirty paws. I was kinda worried that they were hurt or something, and then I saw this:



Is it wrong that I am jealous that they are pretty much homeless and don't have a job and can, therefore, sleep???

I really, really wish I was a dingo right now.....

17 comments:

Liz Wilkey (a.k.a. A Mom on Spin) said...

I really wish you were a dingo too!

For your sake, you know. . . for your sake. . .

McGillicutty said...

Good Lord it sounds like some of the vacations I've had in Ibiza but at least I did get to sleep by the pool in the day time!!!
btw spell check is telling me that Ibiza is spelled incorrectly... I don't think so turkey!!

Fragrant Liar said...

I wish I was a dingo too. I can't get any sleep around here. Of course, my reason has more to do with a man, but I think he could qualify as a hungry crocodile, and therefore need a cage or tooth pliers. Right? I was thinking if I went to Sudan I could get some sleep, but maybe not. Man, am I tired.

Diva's Thoughts said...

Those dingos do have the life I tell ya.

Reddirt Woman said...

You had me at "But then, I'm not a religious scholar. How the hell would I know what he intended?"

Now that's definitely making a statement!

Helen

blognut said...

Can I be a dingo, too? Just for a little while? I could use the rest.

rubbish said...

They're looking quite well fed? No wonder they're knackered. They've probably found your missing stash of little Debbies.

Optimistic Pessimist said...

I would love to be a dingo and just think if you were a dingo you could totally eat babies!

Anonymous said...

Are they staying up all night eating too? Maybe that is why they are so sleepy.

YEAH for it being over soon!!! Think of how everyone will be feasting for at least the first week!! Now that's when you need to have a party!!

Ron said...

Is throwing dead diplomats into the Nile really how they do it these days. Then why aren't we throwing live congressmen over cliffs? Or feeding them to the dingos.

Mike said...

God and Allah are probably pigging out on a big bucket of KFC and laughing at the people who are fasting! :)

Captain Dumbass said...

I think you'd make an excellent dingo.

Carrieann said...

Fasting is simply no way to live.

Smart Mouth Broad said...

Ahhhh, it's a dog's life. Or dingo's life? Well, you get the idea.

Anonymous said...

holy cow they are HUGE! how did that happen? i thought ramadan was over like weeks ago- no? only 'cause there's an indian girl in our tennis group and she showed up and had lunch with us last week.

Everyday Goddess said...

I bet they are jealous of you!

Hit 40 said...

The dingos look so happy!! Very well fed on little debbies. Nice