Monday, July 20, 2009

It Has Come To My Attention...

That I might not be as charming as I like to think I am! I realize that many of you may be shocked by this revelation, but I'm afraid, it's TRUE. Although my downward spiral into self-absorption began LONG before I met my husband, he pretty much has been the only one (I actually listened to) to tell me as much -- and live to tell about it. As a result, I'm continually shocked that we actually managed to get married.

Josh and I met in Algiers, Algeria at the Embassy there. Someone invited him to go to a dinner out at a restaurant not long after he arrived at Post. We all went to this restaurant and the waiter came to ask for our drinks. Josh goes, "I'll have a Coca-Cola Classic, please." Unable to control my inner smart-ass, I blurted out "As opposed to New Coke?!" (I KNOW! RIGHT!? I'm totally hilarious! Seriously, I totally get a kick outta myself. I don't need anybody else!!)

Josh says that this was the exact moment he realized how he felt about me and he just knew that he totally hated my guts.

However, I was undeterred. I cannot stand it if people openly hate me, so I pestered him until he conceded defeat, Eventually, I wore him down to the point where he agreed to marry me (probably to get me to shut up). I have no doubt that he has regretted that decision on a daily basis. But it's too late now! Ha HA! SUCKAH!

Boys are dumb.

So obviously, my favorite subject is me. Is that so wrong?!

That's what I thought.

So, since we're already on that subject (me), let me tell you about the moment that I knew that Josh was (or might be) the one for me. Josh was taking online college courses while he was at the Embassy and I was serving as his proctor for the exams. He had a test scheduled, and I agreed to meet him at the Embassy and log him onto the exam. When I walked into the Embassy, Josh was waiting. He was sitting at the computer wearing a pair of glasses, studying his books.

"I didn't know you wore glasses!"

"I don't. I only wear them for tests because I think it makes me look smarter."

"You do know it doesn't actually MAKE you any smarter though?! You did study, RIGHT?" Josh just gave me a disgusted look like I was the crazy one in the room.

Seriously, you gotta love anyone that can openly embrace their inner crazy like that.

Obviously, we're a match made in heaven!!

21 comments:

♥ Braja said...

No, I'm not convinced....I still think this Josh is a phantom husband....

And that is smotable, my friend: smo-ta-ble.

Anonymous said...

you know since childbirth i've had a weak bladder and you just made me tinkle- or josh just made me tinkle...he really thinks he's opposite superman? (gets extra powers from glasses?)

Mike said...

So, before he met you, Josh used to entertain himself by putting bamboo under his finger nails, but that wasn't painful enough? He toyed around in Russian Roulette tournaments, but that didn't do it for him, and he even tried sky diving without a parachute, and after all that, and not reaching his mental and physical pain thresholds, he decided to marry you! Brave Dude! LMFAO!!!!!!

Rosaria Williams said...

Michel, you didn't need to explain.

Sharon Rose said...

So, where is this man who detests you? Do we ever get to see him? Or is he classified due to the nature of your jobs?
Or is he an imaginary playmate? :))

darsden said...

dang has anybody noticed how Braja is flying in under the wire on us and beating us all by being first lately! What's up Braja with that Chit! YOU know it goes, me, hit 40, otin then you right...LOL heart you... oh crap this is Michels blog...

dang Michel that love story about made me spit up a lil in my mouth...lol not really lovely nerdy story. I mean how cool to meet your husband at the pen I mean ...embassy was he in orange..I mean a suit?

darsden said...

Otin-that was funny

Pastor Sharon flying in with a lil one two of her own...

bawhahahaha

blognut said...

Is Josh a real, live, flesh and blood human being, or does he require batteries? :)

Everyday Goddess said...

Shucks. Now that's what I call a love story! By the way, is "invited to dinner out at a restaurant" code for We met in a bar? That's how I met my ex and also my present de facto husband. No judging here!

Hit 40 said...

Oh Michel!!! I am glad you get some time with him this month.

I loved that he wore the glasses to look smarter during his exam. Does he know that the computer did not see the glasses??

CheapAndEasy said...

That "New Coke" comment? Totally something I would have said too!

Kathy B! said...

Hey! My hubby manages a brand work for Coke and that New Coke monkey business is no laughing matter. Take it back :)

Fragrant Liar said...

That procter part? And the log? See, my brain is in the gutter tonight. I'm trying to catch up on my bloggy reading, as I have been remiss and a mess lately, and now I'm stir crazy in the brain and procter and logs in the same vicinity are making me think silly things. I even think Coca-Cola Classic versus New Coke is funny. Is there something wrong with me?

Char said...

He sure does a good job of being invisable. Can only you see him?

Poppy B. said...

That's it! He's a keeper!

mo.stoneskin said...

Just ignore Braja, phantom husbands are perfectly acceptable. I'm a phantom husband.

*blink*

Actually, I don't think I am, that doesn't really make sense, I don't think I'm making myself up.

Glasses make me smarter - I can't see without them which is a huge disadvantage in tests.

Pseudo said...

You and Josh must have an awful lot of fun together.

Susan said...

So as long as Josh doesn't have his glasses while looking at the month's receipts, you can go get that gorgeous bag, right?

Mike said...

Mustard sucks on burgers!

Medora said...

Duh, of course boys are dumb!

I have never been accused of being charming. Or nice, for that matter. Or any other positive behavior trait.

Optimistic Pessimist said...

seriously...a coca-cola classic? he had it coming if you ask me!